No. of Recommendations: 0

I've also posted this question on the Tax Strategies board, but I thought some of this board's readers might know the answer:

My husband and I bought our first home in 1999. We paid a large one-time stamp tax to New York City just for getting and registering a mortgage here. This tax was separate from the recording fees, title search & insurance fees, et al. In my paperwork, it's called a "mortgage tax." Is this amount deductible on my federal taxes as a local tax?

(I know from having read the Fool's column on this subject that I can't deduct the other closing costs, but the article doesn't mention one-time taxes associated with closing.)

Thanks for your help.

Print the post  


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.