No. of Recommendations: 3
Most important, no matter who you go with, just do a Transfer In Kind so you do not take physical delivery of the funds.

I think you are mixing up the terms.

A Transfer in Kind has to do with transfer the funds (mutual funds or stock) from one B/D to another in the form that keeps the mutual fund(s) intact. For example, if you could transfer the Fidelity Freedom 2020 Fund (FFFDX) from the 401k to an IRA in kind. You could also transfer the Fidelity Freedom 2020 (FDAFX) in kind. You could NOT transfer the Fidelity Freedom 2020 (FDIFX) in kind as it is generally only available inside a 401k. Additionally, it is uncommon for 401ks to allow for transfer in kind for anything other than individual stock. Fidelity is no exception.

A Tranfer refers to sending the funds (in the form of cash) directly to the new IRA (you never receive the check) or to you but the check is titled "New IRA Custodian, FBO you." For example, "Scottrade, FBO James Smith." A Transfer results in no tax reporting to the IRS and has no 60-day window requiring that the funds be reinvested into an IRA to avoid taxes.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.