Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
Most of us, if not all of us on this board are not poor or part of the working poor. Some of us on this board probably do not have the faintest clue of what it means to be poor. This book will help understand what the working poor go through.

Could be an interesting read. I have many acquaintences who in high school chose the "easy" way thru school. They are probably living what is termed a "poor" lifestyle. They make minimum wages at best when they can find work, vacation in the sense that most of us think of is a foreign word to them, and their push for their kids to do better than they are is minimal.
but you know what, they are "happy", they live life to the fullest. You don't hear them complaining about what they don't have, they just make do with what they have. Just wish there was some way to break the education cycle that has a grip on so many of them that will lead to many of their children living the same life their parents are.

interestingly enough, I had a real close friend (say had because he is now for lack of a better word, upset with my success) who lived on the east coast and had a nice paying job with benefits. But after 10 years, despite my trying to make him understand the long term benefits of staying with the job he had, he decided he had to be back near his childhood friends. He made the move and is now working in a job with little benefits and little pay compared to what he had. And there is now a riff between us that surfaced when we were discussing our individual futures. In this case, it was a matter of individual choices, I moved away for the opportunities realizing that if I did well, I could move back. He went for the short term satisfaction instead.

as I haven't read the book, I suspect its a portrayl of how tough life is for those living below the poverty level, how tough it is to make ends meet on a daily basis. I wouldn't be surprised if the author delves into the backgrounds and says many didn't have a chance from the get go. But when I think back to my high school days, I remember many who had the opportunity to break the cycle their parents were in, but by their own choices early in their life, didn't. And then there are even adults by their own choices who had an edge but gave it away.

I wonder if the author put that in her book. I wonder if the author tells all that in some part, that parents and kids need to realize that their early life decisions are important in breaking the cycle. And I realize that in some settings, its tough for kids to get ahead even when they want to. But somehow we have to acknowledge some have a very tough life, but we can't lose focus on giving the next generation the opportunities to break the cycle. Hopefully the book sends that message.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.