Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Mycroft,

Just came across this whilst drinking my coffee at work -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/the_company_file/newsid_448000/448608.stm

Looks like u bought MOT at the right time?

Julian
Print the post Back To Top
Dear Julian,

I think the Mot purchase of GIC was a stroke of genius for MOT, unfortunately I am in the minority as is usually the case. Everytime I buy something it always goes down 10 points as soon as I buy it. It is par for the course for me. Wall Street in my opinion is getting crazier and crazier by the day as it is becoming more and more short term orientated everyday.
It is getting scary on how they have manipulated the MOT/GIC deal. Everytime an American turns on his cable from now on he or she will be looking at a Motorola receiver nameplate, this will make him or her look for other Motorola products like mobile phones when they are in the marketplace, for cable is a pleasure point for consumers and Americans love their cable. It was a smart move in my book.

MYCROFT
Everytime an American turns on his cable from now on he or she will be looking at a Motorola receiver nameplate,

Mycroft,

Don't forget, there is another set top box maker out there named Scientific-Atlanta. They are not far behind GIC in market share.

Perhaps the MOT name will give GIC a bigger lead...or, perhaps someone like Sony may pick-up SFA to compete with MOT.

Stamp
All,

MOT is a good company product wise and placement in industry wise. I think what differentiates good from great is management leadership. FYI, I work as a consultant/contractor and have worked, in some fashion, on projects with both Intel and MOT lately ( a great company and the aforementioned good company).

MOT -- yack.. what a pain. Mgmt indecision at all levels. Too much "mucking around" and not enough "getting the job done" (let alone done right). Buy a chip from an outside company or another division of your own company?? outside of course.. Why?? I cant even begin to explain (no tech reasons anyway).

INTEL - great!! you need something we'll get you the data you need and we'll do it yesterday. We need from you?? We'll ask you directly and immediately and work with you to in the overall to make it happen.

I realize that this is all intangible, but, it is the salient difference when I look at great companies and then wonder why so and so cant seem to quite compete despite similar size, products, technology etc..

I was really disappointed, personally, to learn this about MOT..

FWIW.. Just my 2%, cheers,

jgc

I realize that all this is an intangible

the story before the GI merger:
with a new found focus on customers, MOT is returning to the profitability and growth of old.

wall street reaction: joy joy.

the story after the GI merger:
MOT is returning to ... uhh ... delayed profitability as it takes on near term earnings reduction to place a significant bet on cable access.

wall street reaction: ugh.

wall street likes its stories simple.

greyJester