Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Motivation for me is easy.

As JustSilly mentioned, I look a the bills as soon as they come in and allow myself to feel the rage at the interest rate. Sometimes I even think about the annual cost in terms of % of take home pay.

Getting angry each time a credit card bill comes in, I go to the computer and pay the minimum immediately. Since I get paid every 2 weeks, once that check is deposited, I then make my *real* payment. Some weeks there is not any extra, but when there is, I do the best I can to send a second payment before the next bill comes out.

Another thing that helps me is a daily discipline. Eating lunches out, dinners, frivolous impulse spending is out of the picture for now. When I get the urge to shop for household or clothing items, I make my way to the Salvation Army and pick up a nice sweater or pair of jeans for $5 - small fraction of the retail price.

Food shopping at Aldi and coupon clipping is another tool.

Motivation is different for all of us.

A long time ago, someone on these boards mentioned a money chain. Remember the childhood project of a paper chain to drape around the tree during the holidays? This chain we make from our remaining debt.

Each chain in the link represents $100 or $200 of debt or $500 if you are in that kind of trouble. Hang the chain where you can see it every day. When you eliminate debt in the increments of the chain - snip off the link and toss it away. Just seeing the chain shrink in size is motivation!

Good luck and keep reading - there is much here and many of us are in the same situation.

Best,

donna
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.