Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Motley Fool has relatively suggestions posted every few weeks on best buys now, as well as the long standing guidance on starter stocks for the different portfolios.

A lot depends on your investing horizon and objectives. I can't stress enough the importance of personal assessment of your risk tolerance, how soon you need the money, and whether you have any personal barriers (like some folks hate oil, and want to invest in green companies). These are particularly volatile times, with big swings (up and down) that tend to make some investors very queasy, so you need to determine if you are going to stay with your convictions in a very choppy market where there could be sings of 30% or more.

About a year ago my daughter asked for help investing, and she basically made me her broker to invest her money as if it was my own. At first I started with some basic index ETFs just to get her acclimated, but after discussing her objectives and time horizon, she confirmed she won't need the money for at least 20 years (probably 30 or more). So I started diversifying her portfolio by adding some more aggressive growth companies (all recommended within the TMF universe), which I myself am also invested in. This enables me to more closely watch over her portfolio since I have the same companies in my portfolio, and it gives her better growth potential. YTD her portfolio is up about 13%, whereas the S&P 500 is down about 15%. But believe me, it has been very volatile. Fortunately, she doesn't even check her balances. I try to update her every 3 or 4 months, so she was pleasantly surprised - she was expecting some big losses just based on general news.

Invest wisely my friends
CMFSoloFool - Ticker Guide / Share Holder
Profile and holdings: https://goo.gl/TYTU4S
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.