Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 14
A couple of idiots embarrassing themselves:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/07/07/why-tesla-stock-is...

One says (from the transcript):
Chris, I don't want to be the dour guy when it comes to Tesla, but notice they reported deliveries, they do not report sales. They don't really define what a delivery is. Did they just bring them someplace? I understand the optimism at this, but I will point out, as the resident Tesla bear, there are not many of them, that they're never entirely honest with their financials. And I'm not saying they're lying. They delivered 92,000 vehicles. What we don't know is what that means, and words matter. If they sold 92,000 vehicles, they would tell us that or at least they would give us some indication of that.

Of course, Tesla's actual report, apparently unread, says:
Our delivery count should be viewed as slightly conservative, as we only count a car as delivered if it is transferred to the customer and all paperwork is correct. Final numbers could vary by up to 0.5% or more.

Just to put an exclamation point on his ignorance he goes on:
Chris, who's buying a Tesla right now? I guess I am very [laughs] skeptical of a company whose $35,000 car starts at $42,000, that a lot of people, like, you know, what I need in a pandemic, a $42,000 car that's a base model.

Of course he could have looked on the web site and seen that the lowest price there for a Model 3 is $38K, not $42K. And it's not the base model -- that is even cheaper and available by calling them. And I have to figure the other guy is just as ignorant, as he didn't correct him.

Is Motley Fool hiring morons now?

-IGU-
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
They've been hiring some morons (not all) for years. I love the expensive argument particularly. When a new SUV is north of $50K, a freaking Camry is over $30K and your base BMW 320 is $40K! You're either buying a vehicle in that price range, or you're not.

Then don't get me started on the poor Leaf at $38K - an $18K Versa with a battery in it!
No. of Recommendations: 12
We are Motley. We don't all agree. Some take their research in one direction. Others in another.

Across Stock Advisor and many Discovery services, I have never sold a share of Tesla.

I believe their lead on chip, software, and data is insurmountable.

Forgive anyone who doesn't understand this -- which is the vast majority of people today.

If Tesla achieves true L5 FSD, this will be a $1 trillion market-cap company (at least).

I can't see the scenario where Tesla doesn't achieve true L5 FSD.

No one else is anywhere close.

Tom
No. of Recommendations: 5
Tom Gardner wrote:
We are Motley. We don't all agree.

Good to hear from you, Tom.

I'm not looking for agreement, but I am looking for reasonable care. Your boy was just spreading FUD, either through intent or simple ignorance. Neither is worthy of the Motley Fool. And your other guy was either unwilling or unable to correct him. We're not talking any deep research here, just stuff easily gleaned from Tesla's web site and the actual report being commented upon.

I am pleased to hear that you are positive on Tesla and its technology. Thanks for letting us know.

-IGU-
No. of Recommendations: 4
I recognize that I'm in the minority when it comes to Fools and belief in Tesla. I've said multiple times on air that if you had to pick between what I'm saying and what Tom is saying, then track record makes it very clear you go with Tom.

That said, I don't trust the numbers Tesla reports. I think there's a lot of reasons to be skeptical as Musk has been willing to play cowboy and openly flout SEC rules. You're correct that I did not acknowledge the recent price cuts, but I stand by the idea that the company touted a $35,000 car which it never really offered.

Yes, there are lots of pricey cars. But, I have a hard time thinking the cost of a Tesla makes sense when my wife's one-year-old Nissan Sentra was $12,000 when we bought it a couple of years ago. Admittedly, the idea of spending $38,000 or $50,000 for a car is horrifying to me -- especially when our cars get 40 MPG -- not electric but pretty damn good.

So far, Tesla's performance has made my opinion look silly. I hope I'm a moron here. Lots of Fools own this stock and I always root for them to be right and me to be wrong.

Fool on,

Dan
No. of Recommendations: 0
And as for me, IGU, I clearly hadn't done enough background research in prepping for that day's show. My apologies for that and as Tony Kornheiser says on PTI, I'll try to do better next time. (Which is actually in 90 minutes. See you on Fool Live!)
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yes, there are lots of pricey cars. But, I have a hard time thinking the cost of a Tesla makes sense when my wife's one-year-old Nissan Sentra was $12,000 when we bought it a couple of years ago. Admittedly, the idea of spending $38,000 or $50,000 for a car is horrifying to me -- especially when our cars get 40 MPG -- not electric but pretty damn good.

I recently (late in 2019) decided to get a new car. I wanted an electric one because my commute is about 45 minutes and with 2 small children I wanted a carpool pass and to avoid having to go to the gas station. I kind of expected to end up with a Leaf or something cheap (like $15-20k after rebates), but couldn't find anything under $30k. Since a Model 3 was not that much more and the technology was way better, I ended up getting one.

Here in California, I think there are times when I can look out my window while driving and see another Tesla somewhere on the road at all times. Reminds me of the days when the iPhone was taking off. The delivery numbers are still relatively small compared to another auto maker. I don't have any doubt Tesla is actually selling those cars. Might be boosted a bit by one time gimmicks at the end of the quarter or a well timed price drop, but this isn't a Luckin Coffee situation.

Personally, I have a hard time investing since the price is inflated by Tesla fans that don't exist with other growth companies, but I suppose those fans are not going away any time soon. Still feels like most of the value is in the story -- admittedly, a convincing one to me -- but I prefer real numbers.
Personally I ignore the TMF authors when they write trash on a stock I own when they missed the boat.
I bought a Tesla M3 last year, in NH, for almost exactly the same situation: wanted an electric one because my commute is about 45 minutes ...to avoid having to go to the gas station. I kind of expected to end up with a Leaf or something cheap (like $15-20k after rebates), but couldn't find anything under $30k. Since a Model 3 was not that much more and the technology was way better, I ended up getting one.

I also bought the stock last year with a very limited allocation - because the punditry even a year ago was "it's overvalued", "it'll never take off over gas because of range", "it'll never really self-drive", "it's got crappy panel fit"...

As long as the carmakers, oil and gas companies have Congress deeply in their pockets, preventing simple but extremely profitable ideas like putting superchargers at their prime corner real-estate locations, EVs will be limited in growth - in the US. Why else would Tesla "suddenly" triple their manufacturing capacity by building in China and Germany, and now the pundits are "shocked, shocked" to discover the possibility that maybe they were short sighted. (Where's ThomFranklin when you need him, speaking of shorts.)
No. of Recommendations: 3
Where's ThomFranklin when you need him

Nursing wounds?
"Where's ThomFranklin when you need him"

Nursing wounds?

Gosh, hadn't noticed the absence, but he's been gone for 2 months now. Nice not to have that constant yammer of BS ...
Paid trolls stop posting when they stop being paid. No other explanation makes sense.

I'm disappointed that MF permits that sort of disruptive behavior. It went on for many months. I'm pretty sure if you went through all his posts you would find not a single truth, but I don't really know for sure as I put him on ignore fairly early on.

-IGU-
No. of Recommendations: 0
Dang, they evidently took it down because I get a 404 error when I try to access it.