Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 39
So...it's been a very long time.

I was at a performance of "As You Like It" tonight, sitting hard by stage left. When we got to Act II, Scene 7, the actor playing Jaques looked right into my eyes each time he said the phrase "a motley fool."

The experience pulled me back nearly twenty years into the past, when I was a young analyst trying to find my way in the world of finance. I used to spend hours a week on the TMF boards, especially this one and its predecessor Liquid Lounge. Coming back here tonight, after nearly a decade away, it's great to see that some of the old names still post from time to time, like Najdorf and the Martian.

I'd like to thank every one of you, for you contributed to my education even though I've never met many of you. Today, twenty years on, I'm no longer a young analyst, but the co-founder of a venture capital firm that is doing great work, but still has much yet to prove. The kids I back sometimes call me Mr. ClientNine, rather than my first name, which is a sign of how fast the world changes on you. Jaques would say that I'm now the justice, full of wise saws and modern instances.

Today, I wish there were still something like the Liquid Lounge or Deranged Monkey Criticism of the old days. I'd love to contribute to the young kids of today, what you guys did to me. I do try in other venues, but the TMF boards will always be special to me. Thank you.

Best,
ClientNine
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.