Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm 35. I got my first motorcycle 4 years ago. It's a 750 Honda Shadow Aero. It has snakeskin flames.

In Anamosa, Ia there is a national motorcycle museum. There is also a fairly large motorcycle parts shop there called J&Ps Cycle. They have an annual open house rally every year. Which happened to be this past weekend.

It's about 4 hours from my house. My FIL, a coworker and I rode up there Saturday. Beautiful weather the whole way. Lots of sunshine when we got there.

We left about 3 to go to the museum while I had a helmet I bought pinstriped. A little over an hour later, we went back to get my helmet and ride home. Of course, after getting my helmet, my bike wouldn't start (funny, J&Ps and the museum are a mile apart. Everything was fine 15 minutes before).

No electrical power. Tried push starting, no luck. Hooks up a jump starter. It started, but ran rough and the lights flickered on and off. It's just after 5 now, so no chance of getting parts.

Stranded.

I called my brother to come pick me up in my mom's maybe not so reliable pickup and hoped I would t have problems loading it in the dark with no good place to load.

My brother ended up not getting there until 10:30 (I hung out with some interesting drunk people at a bar down the road and listed to a really good local band while I waited).

Brother finally showed up. Surprisingly we had no trouble loading the bike (backed into a ditch that happened to be about exactly the right size). Got home just after 3 am. Mom's truck worked great (other than it's a single cab and my large brother thought he needed to bring his large GF).

I ordered a new regulator today, and am hoping to get it fixed and have another adventure soon.

Added bonus- getting stranded has made it easier to talk my wife into letting me buy a bigger bike, even though the same thing could happen on any bike. I'm probably going to buy a new Indian Vintage Chief in the next few months.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.