Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
With the movie coming out and the Google puzzle game starting a few days ago, we thought it would be fun to open this board. The operative word for this board is "fun." What we don't want is for it to degenerate into an argument over faith. There are plenty of great boards here at the Fool where religion is front and center.

Great intellectual debate about the history of it all is intriguing, fun, and at the heart of the book. Having fun with puzzles and logical games is also a fun part of the book and the Google game.

Let's keep this board light, fun, and interesting!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks Bogey!!

I had some interesting conversations with some of Bogey's and my coworkers yesterday about the actor choices for the movie.

My main concern... Tom Hanks as Langdon. Did anyone else picture Langdon as being a much younger character (say, 30s)?

- Robyn
Cool board! Thanks for starting it!

Yes, I pictured Langdon as younger, but I think Tom Hanks will be fabulous in the part. Who else did you see in the part? When I read the book, I just had a generic-looking guy pictured. I can't wait to see what Hanks brings to it.

Andrea
My main concern... Tom Hanks as Langdon. Did anyone else picture Langdon as being a much younger character (say, 30s)?

Yeah, I did picture him as younger, but that's not what amuses me about Hanks. Even looking at his picture here:

http://flash.sonypictures.com/movies/davincicodequest/

It seems like he's saying: "Yeah guys, it's me, come on, you gotta let me get in the character. C'mon, stop it!" as he helplessly dissovles into giggles.

I think he's just got too much baggage (albeit golden baggage) to allow the audience to suspend belief and forget it's Hanks.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I think he's just got too much baggage (albeit golden baggage) to allow the audience to suspend belief and forget it's Hanks.
===*===

Not to mention Wilson.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Yeah, I did picture him as younger, but that's not what amuses me about Hanks. Even looking at his picture here:

http://flash.sonypictures.com/movies/davincicodequest/

It seems like he's saying: "Yeah guys, it's me, come on, you gotta let me get in the character. C'mon, stop it!" as he helplessly dissovles into giggles.

I take it you didn't see Saving Private Ryan or The Green Mile.

Karen

I dunno. I was totally believing him as Lovell.

Andrea
Karen, I've seen all his past stuff. That's what makes it increasingly difficult. I have a hard time these days not marveling at his talent while I'm supposed to be in the story.

Richard
>>>>Yes, I pictured Langdon as younger, but I think Tom Hanks will be fabulous in the part. Who else did you see in the part? When I read the book, I just had a generic-looking guy pictured. I can't wait to see what Hanks brings to it.<<<<<

I'm not completely sure... I also pictured someone pretty generic... Mid 30s, 5'10" to 6', athletic, dark hair... I, too, appreciate Tom Hanks as an actor, but I would have pictured him more in the Fache role, if in the movie at all.

Someone in the office mentioned yesterday "Ian McKellen as Teabing is perfect", and I have to agree with him on that.
I think Langdon's part should have gone to somebody younger, but TH is an incredibly talented actor and he'll probably be able to pull it off.

I like Ian McKellan too, but I have a hard time picturing him as anyone other than Gandalf. Which is why I wish Peter Jackson would go ahead and do The Hobbitt!!!
Yeah, I did picture him as younger, but that's not what amuses me about Hanks.

I also had difficulty imagining Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon. As I was reading the book, I kept picturing Harrison Ford in that role.

I'm sure Tom can pull it off, but I just might end up sitting in the theatre thinking I'm watching Forrest Gump and expecting him to start bellowing, "Wil-son!!!!"

;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Someone in the office mentioned yesterday "Ian McKellen as Teabing is perfect", and I have to agree with him on that.

Except that the book describes him as being quite overweight with scruffy red hair — I pictured a Charles Laughton type. But personallity-wise, I think McKellen is perfect.

pix
>>>>>>>Except that the book describes him as being quite overweight with scruffy red hair<<<<<<<<<<<

Wow, I completely missed that in the book... I tend to read faster and skip little details when I get excited, and Teabing was introduced at an exciting part of the book.

I think Sophie was described as having red hair at one point, too (when she was younger, anyway)...
Sophie was described as being about 30, with thick burgundy hair falling to her shoulders.

Teabing is described as "portly and ruby-faced" with bushy red hair and jovial hazel eyes. He wears leg braces and walks with crutches due to childhood polio.

Langdon has graying hair but I suppose he is described better in the first book.

pix
No. of Recommendations: 8
I'm not completely sure... I also pictured someone pretty generic... Mid 30s, 5'10" to 6', athletic, dark hair... I, too, appreciate Tom Hanks as an actor, but I would have pictured him more in the Fache role, if in the movie at all.

I dunno. Hanks and McKellen are nice, but the rest of the cast looks kind of iffy to me. From IMDB:

Tom Hanks .... Robert Langdon
Rikki Lake .... Sophie Neveu
Ian McKellen .... Sir Leigh Teabing
Tony Danza .... Bishop Aringarosa
Charles Nelson Reilly .... André Vernet
Leonard Nimoy .... Silas
Marla Gibbs .... Bezu Fache
Gavin McLeod .... Lt. Collet
Larry the Cable Guy .... Jacques Sauniere
Joe Pesci .... Detective Chief Inspector (Biggin Hill)
RuPaul .... Michael the Cleric

Cheeze
I think Larry the Cable Guy would have been better for the Fache role. You know... "Git er done!"

Waymee
I did not have a younger guy in mind. I did not think about age, but was wondering how close I would like (or not like) it to be to Harrison Ford, style Indiana Jones.

I do think Hanks can make very puzzled faces, surprized, nailed to the ground, and then a witty remark... I can feel him in this role indeed.

/Sheryar
I don't know how they didn't cast Harrison Ford as Robert Langdon. Dan Brown even describes Langdon in the book as "Harrison Ford in Harris Tweed" (although that might have been in Angels and Demons). Tom Hanks, while one of my favorite actors, just doesn't fit the part, at least with that haircut.
I saw Langdon as in his mid-40's, someone who has been so busy with his career that he has missed out on his life.

Fuskie
Who will reserve judgement until he sees the movie, but figures Hanks couldn't be worse as Langdon than Matt Damon was as Jason Bourne...
Considering that Langdon is always a step behind figuring out what's up, and never in control of the situation until the end, and absolutely flummoxed by everything (in the book), Jerry Seinfeld would be perfect, if he'd ever done any serious acting.

Bill