No. of Recommendations: 0
I have worked as a subcontractor for numerous large movie theatre chains and independents alike. And the industry as a whole is in trouble.

In 'Stadium Theatres=Big Losses' the focus was on the financials of theatre chains overextending themselves and the subsequent debt load.

Their failure is more than that. Staffing requirements at these new megaplexes was higher than they anticipated and due to outdated bonus systems for management, staff is rarely large enough to meet the patrons demands. Thus the long lines at the concession stands, the real profit center for a movie theatre. Patrons must choose to show up half an hour early to get their candy and drink (or even chinese food)or pass it by all together to make it to their show. Think about the last time you were in one of those megaplexes and walked by an empty auxilliary concession stand.

And the problems go deeper than that for some of these chains, and can be followed right down to their corporate culture. But I could go on forever on that, as could anyone else who's been in the industry.

I do hope that all of them can overcome their problems because there is still so much potential in the movie theatre business that growth is still possible.

There are a few chains, privately owned though, who seem to be swimming where others are drowning. Apparently it can be done.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.