Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
My least favorite thing to do is move. So guess what? Were moving to a new state. My wife's company is giving her a choice between Colorado or Miami. Seeing as I don't speak a lot of spanish and I prefer actually having a winter. We are leaning towards Colorado, Denver specifically. Any information concerning areas to stay away from or go towards would be appreciated. We have kids so school districts are kind of important. From other research I have conducted the job market looks as good out there as it does in Atlanta (our current home). Many thanks
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hello deej46... let me be the first to welcome you to the great state of Colorado! I honestly can't help you in regards to locations to move to in Denver <I', relocating again myself> but I can tell you that the city itself is massive with much to do in every regards... ballet, symphony, the arts, museums, zoo, gardens and everything else you can imagine... there are also a few breweries to speak of if you are into that sort of thing.

I am certain that someone will be along to guide you in some sort of direction... hang tight... when are you coming out here? What time frame is good for you? And what grades are your children in? any additional information you can provide is good...

Again, warmest welcomes to you and your family!

CaveGirl
<Karen>
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife's company is giving her a choice between Colorado or Miami. Seeing as I don't speak a lot of spanish and I prefer actually having a winter. We are leaning towards Colorado, Denver specifically. Any information concerning areas to stay away from or go towards would be appreciated. We have kids so school districts are kind of important. From other research I have conducted the job market looks as good out there as it does in Atlanta (our current home). Many thanks

-------

Let me be the first to say welcome. You and your family will be very happy here. You mention in your profile that you are in Tech Support. I assume computers so you might try and live in the Broomfield area, where Sun MicroSystems has a very large presence. Ask HockeyPhool for more information. What does your wife do? That could also have a bearing on where you move to. I would say that the nicer areas are the newer areas in South Denver (Highlands Ranch, Littleton, Parker). I would rather live down there, but the 45 mile commute to work was not fun. Regardless, houses in my opinion are fairly expensive, but depending on what y'all do, you should be able to find one in an area with a good school district. Feel free to ask anyone any questions you might have. Take care.

The Wizard
*Born in Colorado*
*Lived in Denver for three and a half years*
let me be the first to welcome you to the great state of Colorado

--------

Cavey, you are supposed to be working instead of beating me to the first welcomeing of a new Coloradoan by twenty seconds or so!!

The Wizard
*On Swing shift for the next month*
*Hates Swings*
My work is actually done for what it's worth... some e-mail admin work and that's all she wrote... so sorry...

CaveGirl
Wizard and Cavegirl,

Thanks to both of you for the warm welcome. I apoligize for not including more information. I will work to recitify that error. The kids are 11 years (the boy) and 9 months (the girl). My wife works for Arthur Andersen (don't wince), she works in IT not auditing and had nothing to do with it. You are correct in your guess concerning my field. I do mostly helpdesk remote support for lawfirms. As for the time frame, that is still up in the air. She just found out and is trying to convience them to let her work out of Atlanta. If not caulks up, she will be out there in a month or so. If she likes it, then I will send the kids out at the end of the school year (May/June) and I will stay behind to close up this house and sell it etc.
No. of Recommendations: 4
My least favorite thing to do is move. So guess what? Were moving to a new state.

Hiya, DJ. CaveGirl and WizardPhool have already handled the welcomes, so I'll just echo their sentiments if you end up in our area.

I'm more familar with the suburbs to the northwest of Denver. My family and I live in Westminster, about halfway between Denver and Boulder. As you're looking up information about he Denver area, you'll probably want to know some of the place names. Here are the names of the communities I can think of in the general Denver metro area (in no particular order):

Aurora - Arvada - Broomfield - Thornton - Northglenn - Commerce City - Wheat Ridge - Lakewood - Littleton - Golden - Parker - Lone Tree - Englewood - Glendale - Federal Heights

My daughters (9 and 6) attend school in the Adams 12 Five-star school district. (The name signifies the 12 schools that make up the district and the 5 communities that lie in Adams County) I've heard that the Boulder Valley School District is very good, but it's pretty expensive to live in Boulder County. I can't offer much insight into the other districts around, but I know some people who work in the education system and could ask their opinions.

You may find the job market tight, depending on when you would be looking. High-tech is in an overall slump, and the Denver area is no exception. However, there are jobs available if you know where to look. If your move becomes a reality, feel free to post some inquiries about specific types of jobs. We do have law firms here, so you may be able to find a position similar to what you've been doing.

I've included a few links I found that you may find useful. Colorado is a beautiful state, and we're very happy living here. I hope you find this information valuable, and I wish you luck as you decide what to do.

Official State Government website
http://www.colorado.gov/

Colorado Worldweb Travel website
http://www.colorado.worldweb.com/

Colorado Department of Education website
http://www.cde.state.co.us/index_home.htm

Official Tourism and Travel website
http://www.colorado.com/

Coloradojobs.com (plus some other area links)
http://www.coloradojobs.com/

Careers Colorado
http://www.careerscolorado.com/

Homestore.com - relocation links, including school reports, salary comparisons
http://www.homefair.com

Best regards,
HockeyPhool
(Scott)
Hello

On top of all that, I'll say that many people seem to like the neighborhood and schools in the Highlands Ranch area. Cherry Creek Schools are also highly rated as well as some of there neighborhoods. I've not heard much about the schools in Parker or Evergreen but there a couple nice areas.

Not that I want to chace you away from Denver but many people seem to like Grand Junction. It's a growing town, not as big as the Denver Metro area and some of the Law Enforcement types with families I know that have moved that way like the town and schools.

Colorado has a variety of choices between big towns such as Denver and smaller towns like Parker. Then you can even throw in some of the mountain towns such as Evergreen and Conifer if you want to live in the mountains and still be reasonably close to Denver.

Just more to totally confuse you.

Wayne

No. of Recommendations: 1
Howdy -

It would be good to find out where the Arthur Anderson location is in town. If at all possible, you probably want to live on the same side of the T-REX project as the office.

Every district in the Denver metro area has good schools and schools that aren't so good. Denver proper has the most variance, but you can still get a great education there. Take the temperament of your kids into consideration. If they are motivated by conforming, they are going to fit better at some schools and less well at others.

The cost of living in Denver runs a bit higher that the average across the nation... mostly because we have to import everything from food to water, and that makes prices higher.

Be sure to check out the maps on Realtor.com You will probably want to head for the south part of the city, as I suspect Anderson is in the DTC at the southern edge of the city.

- KK
Thanks to all of the Fools in Colorado for the great advice. Unfortunately for me, it looks like I am getting stuck with a move to Miami. To say that I am less then happy would be an understatement. But I wanted to stop by one more time to say thanks for all your help.
But I wanted to stop by one more time to say thanks for all your help.

You're welcome, DJ. Sorry things didn't work out the way you wanted, but you're still welcome to come visit.

HockeyPhool