Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently left a job and had a decent sized 401K plan with them. My new employer is very small and does not maintain a 401K (I may be able to coerce him into creating one though – which might be a solution.)

Can I roll-over (not sure I know what that means) my former 401K into an IRA account at a discount brokerage and manage it on my own there (doing Foolish things with it?) If so, can I put money aside tax-deferred somehow each month to put toward this account? Or is this why a Roth is nice because I can't do that?

The primary goal is to no longer invest in mutuals and keep my money in the right place – the market.

I did not see anything related to this question in the Tax FAQ & TMF Tax Guide (I may have missed it.)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.