Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm rather disappointed to see GG shutting down as well, but on the other hand, I'm sitting on about an 8% loss on my GG portfolio after having been in for a year.

I'm not to sure that MDP is the way I want to go right now. It's more money that GG and it doesn't look like it's exactly providing stellar returns for an expensive service. I do like the idea of a real time portfolio -- the problem with a lot of MF services is that they find some great buys, but rarely issue a timely sell. In the rare cases where they do, it's often after a stock has seen over 50% drop from the buy recommendation.

For now I'll probably keep open a few of my GG positions that I think have very good long term prospects and that I think I can monitor on my own. The others I'll take my lumps and get out in the next couple of weeks. I'll take a bit more of a look at MDP, but frankly for a "best of the best" portfolio, it doesn't look that inspiring right now.
Print the post Back To Top
I left MDP a few years ago with large losses, I left Big Short/Alpha last year with large losses, and it now looks like I'm doing the same with GG. I just closed out the last of my GG positions except for CGA and YONG, and will try to hold onto them and hope for now.

But without any expectation for reasonable ongoing guidance going forward, I have no desire to keep the GG orphans in my portfolio. As is, I made the mistake of opening some "nonstandard" GG recommendations that offerred little ongoing guidance, so those were the first things to go this morning ... at the bid price.

as always, i am full of carp

... from a lurker on these boards for a couple of years (I'm quite active at Pro)
... and having no need/desire for MDP if it's not going to have any global focus other than multinationals with overseas sales, I'm now signing on and off with this post.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Carp

How is MF Pro?

Mark
No. of Recommendations: 1
Mark,

I'm not carp, but I am a 1 1/2 year subscriber to Pro. I think the the service is great because it offers long and short stocks, options to complement their stocks, and general market hedges. I plan to invest most of the funds from GG sales to increase my Pro allocation.

Bill
Mark,

Adding to what Bill said, I think that it depends a lot on the individual. Because of the mix of long and short stocks (and ETFs) in addition to options, it's not suited to everybody. In particular, there's been a fair amount of discussion over the years as to whether it's appropriate for people who's investments are primarily in IRAs, where options and shorting opportunities may be seriously limited (depending on their broker).

Also, the time frame is 3-ish years, rather than LTBH, with the use of short puts often used to buy part or all of a share position and covered calls to close out a position ... and that leads to lots of buyers/sellers remorse, since by definition you can't always get the perfect price. In addition, investing with options requires a qualitatively different way of thinking, and not everybody can do that as easily as the amount of time that they're willing to put into learning it. Finally, the TMF marketing machine has led to huge amounts of irrational expectations, so the turnover has undoubtedly been much higher than it should otherwise be.

Even so, I personally love it, and I have tremendous respect for Jeff's investment approach and recommendations. Nowadays, it opens up twice a year to new members, probably the next time in August (if I remember correctly). But it's definitely not for everybody, but for those who love it, the following is quite devoted (including me).

as always, i am full of carp
Bill

Pro sounds a lot like Special Opportunities (SPOPS). Stocks, hedges on stocks, options of many sorts, spin-offs, turnarounds, jockey and activist plays. In short, anything with a reasonable risk/reward and a clear catalyst(s). This is not for impatient, I want it now cry-baby investor.

I love it and Tom Jacobs, the lead advisor. Funny, I think he is in Pro, right?

Thanks for pitching in.
Mark
Hey Fullof

Bill chimed in before I saw your reply. It does sound perfectly suited to me as I am a Special OPS guy. Jeff and Tom Jacobs were/are partners in their firm. I am learning options basically from Tom and the boards, in action. I love it. I have the MF Options learning site, and had the mock portfolio tool.

As far back as I can remember (17, when I bought my first stock, Scott Paper) I have been LTBH.

I also have MDP AA and SN, so I am in a few pies for the last couple of years. I'm sticking with MDP AA for now because I am curious about how they will re-build now that they have a larger universe (Rising Stars, some of which are good). MDP hasn't added a new pick or re-rec since Oct., 2011! They have thrived by opening it up a couple of times to new investors, offered recs of already rec'd stocks for them to catch up, and we wait.

I am probably too patient in this case. But I am going to tweak the MDP approach. MDP has no funds left and must sell or have an infusion. I, on the other hand, have funds to disperse to other ideas or additional of the same. So I will tailor it to concentrate even more on buying additional shares if the circumstances are right.

This event has created an eruption. I wonder if it was expected by MF. I even inquired about cancelling MDP, was cancelled for 1/2 hour, then restored. Hysterical! I bet I'm not the only one today.

Wow, this post got away from me.

Hope you enjoy.

Mark, enjoying all this carp.
I am really sick about this, and we, GG followers, do not have many alternatives.

On my view, most MPD recs are already discussed in GD and OA - the services I already have. I canceled MPD a few years ago just for this reason. Not sure this time would be different.

Most important, I was using GG as a valuable education resource on Global Investing.

That is why I am really disappointed by this MF decision.

Vitek
I'm in SpOps and I've really been appreciating Tom's approach to the portfolio. I would recommend it, but be aware that special ops type investing may require a 2-3 time horizon for the thesis to play out, although some will be faster than that.

Having spent a little more time looking over MDP, I'm pretty sure this is not the direction I want to take. Since I'm already in SpOps I don't want another expensive service and I just don't see the value in MDP. I'm not sure where I'll go from here. Currently I'm thinking of taking what's in my GG portfolio and simply allocating more to my SpOps and SA positions, but I'm open to other suggestions. :) Perhaps Rule Breakers would be a better place for this part of my portfolio or maybe it's time to try a non-MF service.
No. of Recommendations: 5
"...maybe it's time to try a non-MF service."

I've been wondering how long it would be before someone posted the obvious solution for those who strongly object to MDP.

Personally, I'll give MDP a try for a few months. Will I buy their rec's? Maybe. Will I surrender my responsibility to make my own investment decisions? Not a chance. Just like its been here at GG.

Simple
For a long time, I am subscribing to a "Personal Finance" service (under Eliott Glue) which I think is not that bad. They provide a lot of recommendations - although they do not regularly follow on those outside of the "Growth Portfolio", they provide loads of reasonable picks on global companies. The service is pretty cheap, and it is quite entertaining. So I may recommend it, with certain grain of scepticism

Vitek