Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am self-employed and have a Roth-IRA; my wife has a 403(b); both are in mutual funds. Wife is going to leave job, probably work in 1 1/2 yr. at new job. Want to be Foolish and invest for my retirement in stocks. Is it possible to roll-over both my wife's and my existing retirement acct.s into a combined brokerage retirement account or must they be separate? When my wife goes back to work and has a 403(b) or a 401k, can her retirement contributions go into a personal IRA brokerage account instead of the 401k's mutual funds, or must all personal brokerage account contributions be post taxes and separate from company's retirement plan? I know, I should call my retirement accounts;just wanted some Foolish advice. Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Dear mistah - Sorry, but you must always keep retirement accounts separate, whether they're IRA's, Roth/IRA's, 401k's, SEP's, 403b's, etc. As people move from job to job they usually can rollover 401k & 403b accounts into IRA accounts (then can convert the funds to a Roth), and this might be best, but not always - you must consider many factors on a case- by-case basis. Good luck. PP
Greetings, Mistah, and welcome. You wrote:

<I am self-employed and have a Roth-IRA; my wife has a 403(b); both are in mutual funds. Wife is going to leave job, probably work in 1 1/2 yr. at new job. Want to be Foolish and invest for my retirement in stocks. Is it possible to roll-over both my wife's and my existing retirement acct.s into a combined brokerage retirement account or must they be separate?>>

No, the monies must be transferred to your own IRAs. Remember --- The key word in INDIVIDUAL Retirement Account is the first one. KAn IRA cannot be jointly held.

<< When my wife goes back to work and has a 403(b) or a 401k, can her retirement contributions go into a personal IRA brokerage account instead of the 401k's mutual funds, or must all personal brokerage account contributions be post taxes and separate from company's retirement plan? >>

I'm not tracking your question here. If you mean can she later have that IRA transferred to a new employer's 403b plan, then the answer is yes provided she maintains a separate and distinct IRA for the 403b plan rollover money. She may not add any other funds to that account. If she makes contributions to it, then it becomes "tainted" and it can no longer be transferred to a new employer's 403b plan that accepts rollover money from an old employer's 403b plan. The money cannot under any circumstances be rolled into a 401k plan.

OTOH, if you're asking can money contributed for retirement via a payroll deduction and any employer match be deposited into the rollover IRA instead of the new employer's plan, then the answer to that question is no.

Regards….Pixy