Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am moving states from WA to CO. CO has a state income tax, WA does not.

I'm trying to figure out at what point I become a CO resident and therefore liable for state income tax. I am staying with the same employer.
My WA house sale closes on May 13th. I will be leaving WA on April 15th and driving to CO arriving April 19th. I will be staying in temporary housing starting April 19th
I currently have an office and a phone number BOTH in WA and CO. On April 15th I will only have an office in CO.

When will I be considered a CO resident for tax purposes?

1) When I sell my primary residence in WA, May 13th?
2) When I move into the temporary housing, April 19th?
3) When I leave WA, April 15th?
4) When my company changes my office address to CO?
5) Other?

Another question: I will be receiving a significant amount of income ($50k) on around May 17th. Any legal and ethnical way I can have this as WA source income and therefore not subject to CO state tax? The income is reimbursement for my house selling costs from my employer

Thanks in advance!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.