Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to France next year. My question for all of you is: Will I still be able to make contributions towards my Roth IRA? If not, what are some other long-term investment vehicles that I should consider? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dan
Print the post Back To Top
My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to France next year. My question for all of you is: Will I still be able to make contributions towards my Roth IRA? If not, what are some other long-term investment vehicles that I should consider? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dan,

Welcome to the Motley Fool!

I beleive you have to have 'earned income.' That means you have to have a w-2 or some kind of proof of income in order to contribute to a Roth. If you are still working for a US company, and assigned to work overseas, you can probably still qualify.

Because I'm not very well educated in this department, I'd suggest you post a follow up question in the Tax Strategies board. You can get there by typing the board name in center space of the navigational bar below and hitting 'enter.'

We also have a 'Fools Living Outside the USA' board where you can ask follow up questions, although it doesn't appear to active.

Good luck! Fool on!

Karen Kosoy
TMF Karen

Special of the Day:
The Motley Fool Money Guide: http://www.foolmart.com/Shopping/Product_View.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MF031_02-02&REF=csbo03105

Are you planning on moving to France for a long-term basis? If so, then you can probably participate in a French "IRA" or investment vehicle. One that I am familiar with is called a PEA (Plan d'Epargne d'Actions). It's similar to a Roth in that it let's you put in post-tax money and all gains are non-taxable as long as they are not removed from the account within 5 years. You may want to look into this...

nparsn