Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
This is in regard to Form 5329, Section XIII - Additional Tax on Excess Accumulation in Qualified Retirement Plans (Including IRAs)

My wife and I failed to take 2013 MRD’s on our TIRA’s.

We used TTax to prepare our taxes. We elected to request a waiver. Our 1040 currently shows no penalty.

Here are our reasons:

1) Two significant medical conditions in November and December distracted us.

2) We paid sufficient estimated taxes to cover the required MRD’s in 4 equal quarterly payments. It was the 1/15/14 payment that reminded us of our failure.

3) We both took our full 2013 MRDs on 1/14/14.

4) At the same time we arranged with our trustee to take future MRD’s on 10 December each year going forward.

The trustee believed that our request for a waiver was very likely to be granted. If it is not, the fine is >$23,000, so interest on a slow decision would be significant, ~$60/month.

What are the risks?

If I override TTax and pay the fine with my taxes does this change the chances my waiver will be approved?

If my waiver is approved, does return of the waived fine require me to file an amended return or other complex paperwork?

Thanks,

baumgrenze
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.