Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm a bit confused. A CFP is a Certified Financial Planner who, normally, will be doing financial planning with you. Tax preparation is not financial planning....its tax preparation. Usually, you'll have a CPA, EA (Enrolled Agent) or one of the large tax prep companies (Jackson Hewitt, H&R Block, etc) with state certified tax preparation specialists doing your tax for you. If you've not paying the CFP for other than tax prep, that would explain why he/she is not advising you on how to take advantage of any 15% headroom.

By a 'qualified account', I assume you're speaking of an employer sponsored retirement plan, such as a 401(k) or profit sharing plan? If so, you'd probably be better off doing a direct (agent-to-agent) rollover of the qualified plan balance to your Traditional IRA, which will be entirely tax neutral. Then you can do a Roth conversion using any 15% headroom. This will effectively reduce the RMD you'd otherwise have at 70.5.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.