Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
MrShihTzu said:

PG scores high on the mindshare kind of issues, but the combination of the debt level and the relatively slow growth (both past and estimated for the future) lead me to believe that there are other better candidates.

Do you know why PG has so much debt?

Of course, P&G (or any other consumer products business with their market share) will grow relatively slowly, compared to new technology. Their projected growth rate is around 10% per year, which isn't all that shabby. What's KO's projected growth like? I'll bet it isn't all that much higher.

As for their debt, it seems that their competitors (companies such as CL and CLX) have worse cash/debt ratios, implying that it's an industry specific thing. Also, they may not keep much cash around, preferring to return it to the shareholders in the form of dividends. At a market cap of around $120B, a 1% dividend costs over $1B per year. Stash that cash instead, and you'll pay off the long-term debt in about 4 years.

If you're considering consumer companies such as Gillette or Coca-Cola, P&G is in a much better position and has better mindshare. They have the added "advantage" of seeming to offer a choice. You can buy either Tide, Cheer, or Ivory Snow to clean your clothes - PG makes money whichever way you choose. Moreover, you can't easily cut back on laundry detergent the same way you can on soft drinks.

FWIW, they've beaten the S&P in total return over the last 1, 5, 10, and 15 years. That's more than I can say for most mutual funds :-).
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.