Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Much like the telephone and the internet, about 60% of the mail we receive is unsolicited
advertisements, charitable requests, requests for funding from political organizations
or near-political organizations and such. . .

Some of the stuff like advertisements are sent “bulk mail”, which is much less costly than first class. Some political stuff is free and/or also reduced rate as well as some charitable stuff. A number of years ago, DW sent a donation to the Republican Party after I advised her not to (that woman seldom takes my advice, her). Big mistake that! For a couple of years our mailbox was stuffed with requests and we’d get 4 or 3 phone calls a week asking for money. I told her the next time she wants to donate to a politician or party, she should get a money order and donate it in the name of our liberal neighbor (I know that is illegal but I doubts we’d be prosecuted), us
;-)

FWIW, the forms & destructions that I ordered last January from the Infernal Revenue Service showed up in my mail box yesterday giving me a total of 40 days to prepare and mail my tax return, assuming I were to get it in by April 15th. Since, between DW & myself, we have 3 IRAs and I have 3 different brokerage accounts, as of yesterday, I have not received all the 1099s needed to complete my return and claim all my legal deductions.
;-)

C.J.V. - glad I didn’t procrastinate but filed for my extensions to file early, me
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.