Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If someone lived in Illinois for the first 9 months of 2001, and in California for the last 3 months, where should state tax be filed? All state witholding was done in Illinois and the company the person works for is in Illinois (no California office).

Does the person only file in Illinois, only file in California, file 9 months worth in Illinois and 3 in California or what?

RetireEarly1999
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
If someone lived in Illinois for the first 9 months of 2001, and in California for the last 3 months, where should state tax be filed? All state witholding was done in Illinois and the company the person works for is in Illinois (no California office).

Does the person only file in Illinois, only file in California, file 9 months worth in Illinois and 3 in California or what?

You file as a part-year resident of each state. I'm assuming that you had some income after your move, but if you didn't, check the CA instructions to see if you have to file anything. CA is very agressive at tax compliance, and since you'll be filing your Federal return with a CA address, I'd err on the side of satisfying any curiosity they might have.

Phil Marti
No. of Recommendations: 0
Phil is exactly right - not that he needs me to mention that. Anyhow, I have been in a similar situation and file as a part year resident in both states - one happens to be CA - following the rules set forth in the tax forms. I haven't had a lot of income or itemized, so the complexity has been low. Best wishes.
clean1