No. of Recommendations: 0
$2 billion California Build America Bonds (BAB's) program general obligation bonds are due out next week (April 21). While short of the governement gauranteeing muni's if this goes well it should help my CA muni's significantly. The federally taxable bonds (usually still state tax free) offer either a tax credit to investors or a federal subsidy to issuers of 35 percent on their interest costs. So far, issuers are opting for the subsidy. According to JP Morgon the net effect of the subsidy amounts to about 10-12% less interest having to be paid by the state or local government. The bigger deal is Build America Bonds:

Allow CA and local governments easier access to capital for infrastruture construction projects (continued access means less risk of default on my existing muni's, think refi)
Should reduce regular muni supply (e.g. they'll use these for any infrastructure stuff and only use regular muni's for non-infrastructure)
Should broaden the base and attract new buyers for municipal debt since the new structure is attractive even to those who pay no or low federal taxes (the subsidy replaces the federal tax break).

I'm crossing my fingers

Sailrmac
P.S. Same principle for other state's and local government entities
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.