No. of Recommendations: 0
Murder is a serious crime in America, too, and "calling for murder" can be a crime, as well -- especially if you've got a plan in place to actually kill the person . . . or if you're recruiting other people to do the killing for you.

At the same time, freedom of speech -- and especially political speech -- is a big part of what it means to be an American, and as long what we're spouting is theoretical or rhetorical and not apt to be carried out, you can usually get away with it in public places.

You'd want to think about what you're going to say before you say it, though. For instance, if you're here in America, calling for the death of, say, a foreign head of state who tortures his own people and encourages the bombing of ours -- and who can't be found right now, anyhow -- isn't going to get you into nearly so much trouble as, say, calling for the death of our own president. You just wouldn't want to risk that, I don't think . . . .

Something else . . . the web is still quite new, and it's not precisely "a public place" -- after all, I paid money to get to read/post here, and I can always go away if I don't like it, so not all the rules that apply to public places are going to apply here anyhow.

You don't ever want to assume that what's legal is necessarily either ethical or moral!!!

But if it's any consolation, there are lots of Americans who think it's wrong for Americans to try to change the world situation by assassinating leaders of other countries, no matter how despicable we think they are.

It's good for us to hear how other people (you!) see us. It makes us think -- so welcome!!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.