Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have some mutual funds that are not performing as I hoped, and I would like to get out of them. They are not worth what I paid for them originally in Feb 99. What kind of taxable avent would this provoke? Maybe I should try to exchange them into another fund within Vanguard??
Also, I used proceeds from a mature annuity to buy these funds. I was told by a fiancial advisor,(who sold me yet another mutual fund that is not performing!)that I will pay 10% of the annuity proceeds because I took a payout, in addition to the income tax on the annuity gains. Is this true? I didn't realize I should have made an exchange instead. If anyone could shed any light on these two questions ,I'd be grateful, as I am in Mexico without the benefit of advice.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.