Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<shudder>

And he has only $3,289. <shudder> <shaky laugh>

We've stalled him for a while, but eventually he is going to take that paltry sum and buy a car. Before he does, I want to have lots of convincing things to tell him about what to do.

1. He needs a safe and sturdy car. This kid is not the world's best driver. In fact, even though he's 18 and our state lets kids drive at 16, we have not consented to sign his license, which he needs, because his driver's ed was in another state. (Long story.) He hasn't gotten the amount of practice with us that we think he needs. He forgets basic stuff like turning his lights on at night. He thinks he is invulnerable and a better driver than his mom and dad. So he needs a tank.

2. He needs a reliable car. He is a student and has a job that pays only about $50/week until the summer, when he'll get a higher-paying job, I hope.

3. He needs to pay about $2000, IMO. He'll need to have money left over for repairs and <cough> insurance. And while I'm on that subject -- is is true that if the car is in my name or his dad's name, we can cover him on our insurance policy for less than he would pay on his own? Mind you, he would buy the car. It would just be in our names.

I have recommended to him that he get an old American car. Big, sturdy, ugly, cheap. This is fine with him, as he wants a car big enough to hold a bunch of friends.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Also, I want our mechanic to check the car out first. He'll do this for free or cheap, because we are regular customers. Do y'all think that private sellers (not dealers) will allow this?

I've searched the archives, and I can't find a thread on this. If there is one, please point me to it.

Thanks!

Melissa

Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.