Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
My 2% cotribution and employer match are going into a 403b. When I attempted to maximize my voluntary contribution to $10,500, the additional money was put in a TIAA-Cref SRA account. Is the pre-tax SRA as good an investment as my 403b? Should I ask my employer about re-routing all of the money going to the "retirement" account rather than the "annuity"? I am confused about why my contribution was broken up in this way.

Your SRA account is still part of your 403b plan. SRA accounts (which do not contain any employer-contributed funds) must be kept separate from RA or GRA accounts (which do contain employer-contributed funds) because there are some minor differences in withdrawal regulations (i.e. you can transfer your SRA to a 403b7 account, while you may be prohibited from transferring your RA depending on how your employer has structured the plan). The SRA also pays slightly less fixed interest in the TIAA option than an RA account, if you have any money invested that way.

For most purposes, there is no difference between the two (assuming what you're calling your "403b" account is also in TIAA-CREF). But the two types of accounts do need to be kept separate because there are some minor differences.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.