No. of Recommendations: 2
My 7 year old daughter recently asked me how do we know sun will rise again tomorrow. The best answer I had was because it has risen every day till today.

Hi Anurag,

I think your contrarian posts are very valuable, even though they often may rub people the wrong way. I appreciate how much time it takes to write them, and the fact that you do so to help other community members have more investing success. In fact I adopted your "wait for x% improvement in value proposition before averaging down" ideas years ago, to my benefit.

Despite this general appreciation of your efforts, and despite the fact that I am winding down my posting career in rapid order (having finished forever as MazonCreekRich and BrokeInTheBurgh -- with the possibility of one more post, depending on circumstances), I am compelled to stand up and defend Emmy Noether and the law of conservation of angular momentum. (Noether was the great female mathematician who showed that every symmetry leads inexorably to a conservation law -- the fact that physical laws are constant across space implies conservation of momentum, constancy across time (less certain) implies conservation of energy, and conservation across angular direction implies -- you guessed it! -- conservation of angular momentum.)*

I submit, without argument or proof, that a better answer for your daughter would have been that we know the Sun will rise tomorrow because we know that angular momentum is conserved.

And with that, I bid you adieu!

Best regards,

Rich

*Noether's Theorem is far deeper than is suggested by these laws. For example, constancy of physical laws through a local (i.e., varying across time and space) rotation in mathematical phase space leads directly to the conservation of electrical charge and other similar quantities.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.