Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
My actual 3-year returns at Etrade since 2017 are 51% for my sector screen vs. 33% for SPY, and the chart shows that the downdrafts were significantly less for the sector screen.

I use etfscreen to compare the performance of 9 select sector ETFs (XLB,XLE,XLF,XLI,XLK,XLP,XLU,XLV,XLY) with the formula _SMAR2 = SMA-30/SMA-200>1, SORT desc RSf.

I just ran 5-year backtests on etfscreen for that screen and for the equivalent using the leveraged ETFs (CURE,DUSL,FAS,GUSH,NEED,TQQQ,UTSL,UYM,WANT) and got these results:

SCREEN CAGR SD
SPY 13.9 19
SECTOR 13.4 17
LEVERAGED SECTOR 13.9 75

So, whoa! Not good. Same CAGR as SPY, but massive increase in volatility.

In comparison, just holding leveraged ETFs yields:

UPRO 25.9 79
TQQQ 52.3 84

So yet again, after decades of trying, my conclusion is KISS: as an individual investor, I can't beat the index. Even so, I think I'll continue to use the basic sector rotation for a corner of my portfolio. Despite what the backtest shows, my actual sector returns beat SPY in recent years (which is probably due to XLK being the top ETF pick for quite some time).

PS. After multiple 403 forbidden errors, updating my windows, rebooting several times, I discovered that you cannot use brackets in these posts. Strange!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.