Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My apologies in advance, rvbradish, but I agree with DE who writes:

My point being, the direction of our company may not be what the original buy report had outlined largely because the financial community is perhaps becoming more Foolish as well as our regulators. I think we should consider moving the monies over to a Schwab of sort. I have not run the numbers yet, but I'm sure we can find something in the financial industry that will better serve us than a Company that makes its spoils largely doing what we profess against. And the world seems to be agree.

I always found it curious that the RM (then CK) portfolio would profess TROW as a long-term investment while simultaneously professing a belief and suggesting a means by which the individual investor can outperform the mutual fund industry--the RP4, indexing, investing in RM & RB to name a few. IMHO, the long-term prospects of mutual funds (other than one tracking the index) are questionable given recent developments (discount brokers, online access to information, fee awareness, underperformance etc.).

Maybe I am putting too much faith this "revolutionary" thinking and the industry has enough legs to warrant maintaining the position in TROW. But like DE I am confident we could find a representative of the financial industry with a better prospects going forward. Charles Schwab is a good place to start. I like their business model as well as their performance and direction. The problem I have, is this industry is hard for a novice (like me) to analyze. I know Dale Wettlaufer did a series on analyzing banks in the DRIP portfolio a while back, but unfortunately it went over my head. If I find some time, maybe I will revisit those columns.

Thanks for raising the issue, DE.

--Jack
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.