Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
My approach will be to convert a list of each purchase of stock A along with its cost basis and date of purchase to the number of shares of B that I now have. Then as I sell stock B I would apply the sale price to the cost basis of the oldest purchase. Does that seem like the correct approach?

Yes, that's absolutely correct, and that's exactly what I do. I've been through this 4-5 times in recent years, and now have it down to a science. I track stock basis on a spreadsheet, with one line per purchase showing date, number of shares acquired, and cost (this works fine whether it's a direct purchase or reinvested divs). Then in the case of a buyout like yours, I simply start a new column of B shares, where each entry in the B column is the correct multiple of the A column entry. As you sell B stock, you just work your way down from the top (the oldest shares) the appropriate distance, picking up basis from cost column. The messy bit, mentioned earlier, is that because of the cash-in-lieu, you've sold the first little bit of the B shares. Indeed, the numbers almost never work out, so that a sale of B shares invariably turns out to be what's left of one row, then some number of additional rows, then a fraction of another row. (As I noted before, if you sell all your B shares, there's no problem since your basis is just all of what's left...) This sounds confusing, but it's really quite simple if you lay it out on a piece of paper and remember that FIFO = selling oldest first = working down from top.

Lorenzo
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.