No. of Recommendations: 3
Hey all,

Today I posted a blog post about depression that I am hoping some of you will get something out of. It's been rattling around in my brain for quite some time. I've been told it's very real and pretty raw - and also comforting and helpful. Given this feedback, and the importance of the issue of people living with depression, I am cross-posting to a number of boards.

If you see value in what I've written, please share it with others. If you're on facebook, I would most appreciate if you would share it on your wall or on appropriate pages you like. Otherwise, please consider re-blogging via wordpress, sending via email, etc.

Thanks a lot,
Diana

http://wp.me/p2RpWd-60
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the link, Diana. Great blog post.

How are you doing, today?

Your blog sounds like me sometimes. I'm not crazy about pharmaceuticals either, but I think many do need them at times. Or that nothing ever seems to have really worked for me. At least so far. Based on my own limited experience, I agree that I think they only treat the symptoms, not the root.

Lois Carmen D.
LCD, As I recall, you're bipolar, like I am.

D stressed that she has situational depression, which is different from what we experience. Here's some of my response to D's post:

http://www.lifeuncalculated.com/2013/04/on-depression-bipola...

She has situational depression, not major depressive or bipolar disorder and that is a reason why she can handle it without meds. And I respect her decision.

There was even a time when I felt similar to the way she does, so I understand it, especially since I've always been interested in self-help and spiritual growth. I thought I ought to be able to get myself out of it, that I could think/force myself to be better. I don't need no stinkin' medications. I'm so enlightened, I should be able to meditate and exercise myself better!

<snip>

Back when Prozac and other SSRIs were still new on the market, I started to hear the phrase "I don't need a crutch" or "medications are just a crutch."

Here's the thing. . . . If your leg is broken, you NEED a fing crutch, and a cast, and maybe pins to hold the d@mn thing together until it can heal.

Ishtar
LCD, As I recall, you're bipolar, like I am.
Back when Prozac and other SSRIs were still new on the market, I started to hear the phrase "I don't need a crutch" or "medications are just a crutch."

Here's the thing. . . . If your leg is broken, you NEED a fing crutch, and a cast, and maybe pins to hold the d@mn thing together until it can heal.

Hello Ishtar,

Yes, I did note what Diana said that she has "situational" depression whereas we have something else. Elements of her blog post still spoke to me, perhaps because I'm in a depression slump right now.

Also I guess that when the meds don't feel like they are doing enough (or anything), it sucks. At the least, I think the meds can treat symptoms for some, which is better than nothing most of the time. I think it is less common when the medications seem to be able to get at the core issues effectively.

I'll use the analogy of diabetes. Maybe for some, insulin can help their diabetes. It isn't a cure, but it can manage the disorder. It can be a pain, but it helps patients thrive (or at least survive). For a rare minority, with treatment and lifestyle changes they might be able to go off of medications (I've had of a small handful of people who have alleged this), but they have to be vigilant their entire lives if it comes back. This last situation probably is more for situational depression than full-blown depression and bipolar, but it is something I dream about in that it can be transitional, but still remain on the defensive.

Lois