No. of Recommendations: 0
*My challenge:
<<I doubt that you'd tell me that a family earning $40k (the *beginning* of the nondeductible phase-out range for 1997!) can't afford $2k for an IRA.

*Ray's response:
<Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you. I think the data gathered by the US government bear me out.
Back-of-the-envelope estimates:
$40,000 annual income, family of four.
Fed tax= $4,500 ($10,000 std deduction)
FICA = $3,000 (7.5% of $40,000)>

*My counter:
It's hard to argue with estimates, but the numbers I can check are wrong.

Income = $40,000
Std. Deduction (married filing jointly) = $6900
Personal Exemption = 4 x 2650 = $10,600
Taxable Income = $40,000-6900-10,600 = $22,500
Tax = 3379

Your 'estimate' is $1121 (or 33.2%) too high. Also, FICA is 7.65%, which adds $60 to your estimate. And that's the trouble with estimates. The numbers that you could calculate came out wrong which leaves the numbers that are really estimates wide open to dispute.

I guess my bigger concern is that, if you are correct (which I don't believe), then the majority of families in this country could not afford to save for retirement (which I *really* don't believe!). The one point I was willing to concede was that the IRA contribution could not be afforded if the money was already going into a 401K to get the employer match. But your arguement precludes even that possibility. While I admit that it would be easier to live on double the national family income (about 32k), I think you draw much too bleak a picture for people with average earnings.

[By the way Ray, thanks for all the work on the DDA board. I think the opportunity cost of you spending time being wrong here is that I lose the chance for improved returns from your futher work into better Dow strategies ;^) Is that fair to me!?]
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.