Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
My concern is that although the orthodontic office said we don't owe anything until 2006 for services done in 2005, they billed the insurance company in 2005. Therefore the unreimbursed part ($500) of the bill falls in 2005 even though payment isn't due until 2006.

Question: Can the $500 unreimbursed part of the bill be paid in January from 2006 FSA funds since that is when I am being billed or does it fall into 2005 since that is when the orthodontic work was done?

The answer is simple, there's no way for us to know. You need to look at the rules for your plan. You may need to speak with the plan administrator. Generally, I believe the services need to be provided during the coverage period of the plan. Since you're looking at orthodontic work, there will be ongoing adjustments. So, my inclination would be to assume that the expenses will be covered, but never assume when it comes to insurance or taxes. Ask the questions and ask again until you are satisfied you have the official answer.

Ira

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.