Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
My current thinking is to get the shares issued to me when they become unrestricted and put them in my brokerage account. At that point, they can be managed like any other holding.

At that point I generally recommend selling and investing the proceeds elsewhere. You've already got the majority of your income coming from your employer. If your employer's business goes bad, you can lose your job at the same time those shares lose lots of their value. Diversify.

There can certainly be situations where that's not the best advice, but it is where I'd start in your thinking. Then you can decide if you have an exception to the general situation.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.