Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
My daughter has an interesting problem. She graduated from college in 2009, so her college trust had taken a hit and she has (stock) capital losses to carry forward. But in 2010, she was a volunteer in Namibia (World Teach). She does not need to file taxes for 2010. Can she simply carry over her capital losses to 2011 without filing?

No. She needs to file a 2010 to establish the capital loss carryforward to 2011. On the front of the 1040 it will look like she is claiming a $3000 loss (or her total loss if less than $3000), but when she completes the capital loss carryforward worksheet, she will carry the full loss forward.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.