Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My daughter has been living in Switzerland for a few years and pays no US taxes.

Presumably, she is filing her US taxes and claiming the foreign earned income exclusion?

Are there US limitations on money my wife and I can give her without making her subject to US taxes?

Gifts are never taxable to the recipient. For 2020, if you give her more than $30,000 ($15,000 from each of you), you will have to file a gift tax return. The amount that requires you to file a gift tax return can change annually, so if you want to give at or near the limit, you should confirm what the limit is each year.

If your total gifts exceed the lifetime limit (currently $11.58MM each in 2020, but this amount changes each year, and has changed with changes in tax law), then you, as the giver, will be subject to taxes.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.