Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My daughter is 23, and she did file her tax return first.

If she's:
- under 24 (as of 12/31/06)
- was a full time student in 2006 (for at least 5 months)
- lived with you for more than half the year (temporary absences, such as school, count as time lived with you)
- didn't support herself more than 50%

then she should be your dependent and you need to file by paper and get it corrected.

Check the table right below this link (and the following sections) for all the information:

Many pardons... for asking an emotional based question about paying my daughter's CC on a tax stratigies forum. Of course- my being able to pay her CC has nothing to do with my taxes, etc.

Hey, we're a multiservice board ;). Just my opinion I guess. If you want to use the reason that you'll lose her exemption next year (unless she doesn't make $3300) and a reason to discuss with her about being more independent, feel free. I just was a afraid I hear a little resentment there over the situation, and just felt a reminder that tax law isn't her fault, couldn't hurt. Just my opinion, take it or leave it as you see fit.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.