Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My daughter receives Social Security benefits as a dependent of a disabled person. Her first payment was a retroactivelump sum to cover benefits for which she had been eligible the previous two years.

What do I use for the purpose of calculating the Support Test?

You use the amount spent in 2000 on her support. Let's say for the sake of argument that she puts her entire SS payment in a savings account. She has spent zero on her support. See IRS Publication 501.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.