No. of Recommendations: 1
My disaster hedges are simpler than that: I buy out of the money index put options.
I prefer IWM versus SPY these days, since the giant tech/data firms are so insanely profitable and entrenched. The weakness seems concentrated in the smaller firms.

Sounds similar to mine, except the name. Mark Spitznagel (www.universa.net/riskmitigation.html) will point out that abrupt corrections are far more common than option prices often reflect. Admittedly, bleeding hedge money is not fun during good times. A disaster to me is when my house burns down. Volatile corrections are more common.

I started out using SPY, then moved over XLF for the same reasons. Pretty sure I looked at IWM at the time, but I guess looking at volume and correction volatility I went with XLF puts. (Being recently impressed with some of our short screens I decided to add some puts from one of those pics. Unfortunately those pics tend to be biotech firms, which are not correcting as much for obvious reasons.)

I believe Spitznagel's model is to own puts that will deliver a 10x return on corrections of >15%. To keep my numbers small, I decided to go much further out of the money than he does. At the moment my return is 5x with XLF down 37% from the peak for puts I put on Nov 5, 2019. So I guess that is something of a fail, though these are pretty inexpensive out of the money options expiring Jan 2022. They were a bit higher when the VIX was near 80, and my plan to be selling is in a next leg down.

To your point, I need a pre-decided trigger to close and yes, shopping for deals is next. :-)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.