Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
My family receives government subsidies for our health insurance premiums which we get from Covered California (California’s ACA marketplace).

I’m looking to sell some stocks to cover some expenses, however my understanding is that the capital gains are counted towards our MAGI which may trigger me to have to pay back some of those subsidies.

Yes, capital gains are counted toward AGI, which is modified to add in some non-taxable income to calculate MAGI for ACA. And if you go $1 over 400% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) for your family size, you will have to pay back ALL (not just some) of the Federal subsidies. Here's a website that shows 400% of FPL by family size https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/federal-poverty-level.

That said, it's my understanding that CA has provided some subsidies for income levels above 400% of FPL. So you may get some subsidies from the state even if you have to pay back all of the Federal subsidies.

Is there a way to avoid this?

Reduce your income by:

- selling stocks/lots with lower capital gains
- selling stocks that have capital losses
- if eligible and you haven't already - max out an HSA
- make pre-tax contributions to a 401(k) and/or IRA

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.