No. of Recommendations: 4
My favorite nabes to meander when I lived in San Francisco were the Mission District (in particular, check out the good cheap eats and murals). For great takeout, La Palma Mexicatessen on 24th st (and York?). Their chile verde and hand-patted corn tortillas are awesome--and to drink, horchata (made from rice and cinnamon).

We also loved Japantown, but perhaps not worthwhile to friends continuing on to Japan! We loved the Mifune noodle shop...mom...nabeyaki udon, cold soba w seaweed...

The views from Twin Peaks and the Marin headlands are wonderful, but i had a car when i lived there. I've never even been to Fisherman's Wharf--it's just for tourists AFAIK.

Must ride Powell-Hyde cable car from Nib Hill down to the Bay. I like moseying around residential nabe of Russian Hill. There's a cute shopping/eating street behind Civic Center/Symphony Hall...I have forgotten the name of it (I keep thinking Hyde, but maybe it just started with an H?) but we used to get off BART at Civuc Center to get there, eat then go to symphony.

The Castro was fun to walk around, too.

Many Awesome museums, depending in your interests.

Chinatown, but more Stockton (the Real shopping), less Grant (the tourist street). R&G lounge (downstairs) for great Cantonese dishes--on Kearney IIRC, on the edge of the Financial District. I forget our fave for dim sum, I think it was on Jackson near Stockton.

North Beach (Italian nabe) nice for walking, too. Fab coffee shops, some where they roast their own.

I stayed at a nice b&B in North Beach, but forget the name--it was almost 30 years ago. Lonely Planet is good for inexpensive lodgings and food.

Oh, don't miss Coit Tower--wonderful lefty WPA murals in lobby. There's a bus that goes up there, or climb the hill from the east side...adorable neighborhood just off the stairs. No need to wait and pay to go up the tower--the view from the parking lot is plenty fine (and you can see the crookedest street IIRC). You can also see the crookedest street from the Powell-Hyde cable car IIRC.

A boat ride on the Bay gives a nice view of our fair city.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.