No. of Recommendations: 0
Just for fun I'm listing a couple of favorites of mine. Please don't consider this investment advice... I'm more just fishing for comments:

MVL - Marvel comics. They have licensing rights to over 4000 characters and we now have the technology to make the movies about them believable (ie: xmen, spiderman, etc). I've held it since early 99. It was so cheap then I was literally giving away shares for Christmas (to some comic-loving friends). It's gone up over ten times what I paid for it and I expect it to keep climbing if they continue to play their cards right.

PANL - Universal Display corporation. This company is working on OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diodes) technology. The industry is in the infant/toddler stages, but the big guys include PANL, Kodak and CDT (which I believe has it's IPO this week). The tech is a very thin sheet of material that is effectively a computer/television/display screen so thin you can roll it up. There is still a lot of research and tweaking to be done to make it function well long-term. However, the military has contracts with several makers and the industry seems to be progressing. I've held this for a while, and I'm actually at a slight loss right now, but the price is low enough for consideration if the numbers look good to you. I'm also curious to watch this to see if Kodak uses it to continue to move away from it's former heavy reliance on photographic film.

For grins, I'm also in the process of evaluating Pixar, Netflix, Tempur-Pedic and Amgen. They all have products that I either admire, use or otherwise see to be potentially strong long-term investments.

Remember, these are NOT recommendations. Just meandering ideas from a Foolish mind.

Chris
Print the post Back To Top
Remember, these are NOT recommendations. Just meandering ideas from a Foolish mind.

Chris,

You're I sharp guy. I definately will look at your picks.
Karen

P.S.
I have been tracking Netflix also. they were up over a dollar yesterday. I'd buy after Xmas sometime.
Chris,
The news I've seen has not said anything about being delisted(ive heard through rumor mill only). There seems to be positive sales news.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/rcnews.asp?Symbol=NT

Karen( not an expert, just a fool)
Tempur-Pedic

My fiancee and I just went through choosing a new mattress and decided on tempurpedic. We wanted a memory foam mattress, and there are several types and makers on the market now that Tempur-Pedic's patents have expired. However, we found tempur-pedic's to be the best (of the ones we tried). The only regret we have is skimping and buying a queen size when we knew the king size was what we needed ... sigh

ChrisInLex, I'm curious if you have any hometown favoriteness in mentioning tempurpedic? I usedta live in Lexington KY myself (left, or escaped that is, 15 yrs ago, after 17 yrs of Lexington living including high school and college) and since noticed that tempurpedic's U.S. sales are headquartered in Lexington.

- David
David,

Oddly my initial comments on Tempur-Pedic may have led to the birth of this board. I just happened to mention it on the board for Sirius and caused a minor uproar. I work around the corner from the Tempur-Pedic HQ and I have known a couple of people that moved over there. It is a very popular bed around town, and I know that they have a little shop in one of the shopping centers (Lexington Green) that would probably do VERY well in other cities. I wish they'd market their beds in LA and NYC because I can just see the trend for "fine sleeping" to really take off in those places.

I like the company and I wish I'd bought in September when I first looked at it. It's jumped a good bit since then. At the time I bought Sirius though, and I'm pleased with my results with that stock.

Anyhoo, I don't have any real local favorites. I did have Lexmark (LXK)for a while, and if I'd held it I'd have doubled my money. But I sold it at a minimal game. It's a good company but I'm not in love with it. All the old IBM'ers are retiring and the new CEO is a micromanaging engineering type which is all fine, but may not be the best personality type for CEO. Even so, I may be looking at a job there in the new year. We'll see. I'd be happy to work for a job that provides stock options. I've been with a privately owned automotive company for 13 years (not a carmaker, a supplier) and I'd like to be somewhere that shares the profits a little bit.

I've been in Lex for 17 years. I came here for college in '87 and stuck around. I'm originally from Houston but stuck around here because there are actually "seasons". Houston is pretty much Hot, Hotter, Hot, Warm and then it starts over again. :-)

Where'd you escape to? And which high school and college? I live about a block from Transy now.

Thanks for the note. I'm glad to hear you like your Tempur-Pedic. I'm really interested in finding out more about the company.

Rambling away,
Chris
yes,

We have you to thank! My dear sweet pot stirrer! I'm glad about that too! Not that I dont like the sirius. board. There have been quite a few more trolls slithering in and out of the sirius board since more people have been getting on the sirius bandwagon. I've been out since last wednesday when my stop forced me out and sold at 7.08. I refuse to buy at these prices. Not right now anyways. I'll wait until after the big halabaloo has died down. Must admit, I like to be a bargain shopper( or at least think that I am).

Karen(not an expert,just a fool)
Oddly my initial comments on Tempur-Pedic may have led to the birth of this board. I just happened to mention it on the board for Sirius and caused a minor uproar. I work around the corner from the Tempur-Pedic HQ and I have known a couple of people that moved over there. It is a very popular bed around town, and I know that they have a little shop in one of the shopping centers (Lexington Green) that would probably do VERY well in other cities. I wish they'd market their beds in LA and NYC because I can just see the trend for "fine sleeping" to really take off in those places.

I musta missed that comment - here in CA where I live, the tempur-pedic was sold through a regular bed store. They've carried it for 6 months, and have quite a bit of space right at the front of the store dedicated to three beds displaying different tempurpedic models. They also have a knockoff memory-foam bed, but the tempurpedic was so much better.

I remember seeing that shop in Lexington Green last christmas.

The other interesting thing is how the store we bought ours got around the pricing regimine. TP is apparently very strict about pricing, but the store we got ours sells the mattress along with a different foundation and frame than TP sells. Hence, they can offer a lower price because the only part that's TP is the mattress.

Where'd you escape to? And which high school and college? I live about a block from Transy now.

I went to Henry Clay, then to UK, and graduated in december-1988 and left town by September 1989. I got a bachelors in ComputerSci from UK. I'm now in Silicon Valley playing with the tech industry.

- David