Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I foolishly (little "f") dumped a lot of money into an investment club that allowed me to purchase stocks in a company before they went public. Things looked like they were going well, but then the company went belly up. They never went public and to top it off, they claimed bankruptcy. Can I file this loss on my taxes and how much of it can I? I was unfortunately blinded by love and invested mucho dinero into this investment club (my girlfriend's father was the CEO of the club). Here is a list of what I invested:

7/98 = 3,000
8/98 = 3,000
1/99 = 3,000

What should I do? And what material do I need in order to take action? Please help.

Thank you,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.