Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
As of the close of the market today I have my first stock that's gone up 10 fold since I bought it. A high flying dotcom with no earnings? No. A tech high flyer like JDSU? No (though that's closing on 1000% for me quickly !). It's the very first stock I bought back in 1994 - Linear Technology (LLTC). At the time I had never heard of Motley Fool and had no idea I was buying something called a "Rule Maker". It just looked like a solid and steady growth company to me - with lots of proprietary products and nice net margins of 28%. I've just held it for the last 6 years, which hasn't always been easy. It's dropped 50% twice - once in 1996 and again in 1998; but the underlying business always looked solid, and in fact the net margins have risen during that time to a very impressive 38%. Today
LLTC was added to the S&P 500 and surged to $58, which looks very nice next to my split adjusted buy price of $5 3/4. I've seen LLTC listed a couple times in the Rule Maker column/board as an upper tier Rule Maker. I think it's rather pricey right now, but if it drops 50% again I think I'll buy some more.
Buy and hold ! - That's the ticket to long term success.
Thanks for listening - I just had to tell someone and my wife could care less about stocks I'm afraid.
rbrew
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.