Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
OK, I admit it was the name that got me.

Last week I read a bunch of recipes and watched a video recipe, and today I found my own path. My husband, who's become skinny in his old age and not so much of an appeitite, chowed down a big potion.

FIrst I fixed the gochujang-based hot sauce: 3 Tbsp gochujang (or sambal oelek), 1 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil, a few drops of liquid stevia or 1 Tbsp sugar, a few pressed garlic cloves, 1 Tbsp rice vinegar (can use cider or white), a little water.

Next I sliced 2 raw rib-eyes against the grain, removed any big hunks of fat and cut each slice in half the long way and stir fried in sesame oil, adding a little soy sauce, mirin and a little of the gochujang-based hot sauce.

Meanwhile I sliced a bunch of shiitake mushrooms. When the steak was barely done, I removed, boiled off some liquid, and stir fried the mushrooms.

Meanwhile I sauteed beans spouts in another pan and grated 2 carrots. Removed the bean sprouts and replaced w/carrots.

Removed the mushrooms, added a little sesame oil and water and walted half a large box of baby spinach.

Also I thawed a pint of rice in the microwave (was going to use cauli-rice but remembered I had this old Chinese restaurant rice to get rid of--I rarley eat rice any more so a treat for me!).

In ech serving bowl, put a little rice in the middle and surround with piles of meat and each vegetable. It's standard to add a fried egg and toasted sesame seeds, but I didn't feel like it. I just drizzled each bowl (there were 3) with the pretty red gochujang sauce.

This was both attractive and delicious, spicy but not too spicy. The hubster, who has not been in a good mood lately (his dementia is starting to bug him and he occasionally bursts into tears or acts, er, demented), perked up w/joy upon tasting this. He also seemed to like watching me fix each ingredient and put it in its own bowl--I don't make many dishes these days where I do that with cooked ingredients.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.