Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm actually just passing through, but I have an eleven or so layover in New Orleans which I'm hoping to use a couple of those hours (at least) to do some sightseeing. Maybe not, though. I'm making this trip up as I go along and have done startling little in terms of planning--which is pretty much usual for me. =)

Anyhow, I'm in California now and am heading to the grand state of Georgia to hike the Appalachian Trail. Searching the web for cheap methods of getting from California to Georgia, I bought myself an Amtrak ticket for $123. Which, as it turns out, there's an eleven hour layover in New Orleans--a town I've wanted to visit since I don't know when but never had a chance to. =)

I'm not really expecting to see a whole lot, truthfully. The train isn't scheduled to arrive until 8:30pm, and it could very well be hours late--it's been known to happen! And I might just be too darned tired to do anything but sleep.

But here's the thing: I don't actually want to shell out money for a hotel. Call me cheap, if you will, but I'll already have a sleeping bag, tent, stove, and anything else I could possibily need right on my back. A campsite would be ideal, but I don't see anything close enough to the train station to make it practical on my maps. So then I started thinking, can one sleep right there in the train station? Because I don't know. I've never tried it before. =) I've slept at layovers I've had at airports, but I don't know how train stations work. I've never ridden a train before. But then I wondered, even if I could sleep in the train station, would it even be safe to? Does anyone have any thoughts on this line of thinking?

Now I'm perfectly willing to sleep on the streets for a night if necessary. It'll certainly make my stories of New Orleans more interesting! =) So if I can't sleep in the train station, does anyone have any suggestions about where I could sleep without the cops disturbing my sleep all night long? But at the same time, somewhere where I'd be relatively safe from muggers, killers, and large insects. (Okay, I'm joking about the large insects... *smile*)

I actually leave Friday afternoon, so any quick responses would be appreciated! Thanks!! =)

-- Ryan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.