Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
borrow $10,000 at 6.4% fixed interest over 3 years

buy 3 year convertible notes paying 8.075% at current prices but missing first interest 6 monthly payment

write interest gained off against interest paid
total cost over 3 years $175.00

2 worst case scenarios
No 1)company goes bust - loss equals $10,000 - very,very unlikely and if I thought it was a possibility I wouldn't be in it.
No 2)stock price falls 15%+ in next 3 years - have to take cash instead of converting to shares - recieve $8500 = loss of $1500 plus the $175.
Loss is capped because of set value of notes.

more likely scenarios
somewhere between
No 1) roundabout current price = roundabout breakeven
No 2)60% stock price rise (not unlikely because of current undervaluation in my opinion) = profit of about $6800 = total return of
3800%
No 3) wishful thinking - not outside the realms of possibility - 130% stock price rise = profit of $13500 for an outlay of $175 = a total return of 7700%.

Any one else doing this sort of thing?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.