Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, I finally got around to buying Soy Milk & Tofu (firm & silken) for the first time.

Soy Milk - tasted ok. Not exactly like milk, but then I didn't expect it to. Good to drink as a stand-alone or mixed as a banana shake, etc. but I don't think it would taste as good mixed with cereal.

I made the Eggplant & Tofu Cassarole recipe last night for dinner. (http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13489050). Yum! The only thing I would do differently is crumble the tofu instead of slicing it. After I layered the slices, it didn't let the sauce seep down into the rest of the cassarole. It mostly stayed on top. I'd maybe put some of the sauce on top of the eggplant, then the veggies, tofu, cheese and more sauce. Also, the recipe said to bake until bubbly. lkfrey - the tofu didn't get "bubbly". Should it? It pretty much retained its form, but maybe that's because I didn't crumble it?

The leftovers would probably be good on a grinder roll the next day too. Can you tell I'm from the N'east (lol!) - that's a hogie or submarine to folks in the rest of the country.

I can see tofu being a good ricotta cheese substitute in a lasagna. Does anyone have a Tofu Lasagna recipe?

Now I have to find a recipe for experimentation with the silken tofu.

Laura
Print the post Back To Top
<<Does anyone have a Tofu Lasagna recipe?

My wife does, I'll have her post it later, no cheese in it at all. Also, try many types of soy milk. Wave is really good, it is in the refrigerator section of health food stores. I make my own which we like best, but for some it is a little ?? strong. Of course you can flavor it in different ways. If there is interest I can post that.
Does anyone have a Tofu Lasagna recipe?

There are lots and lots of tofu lasagna recipes out there. This one is my favorite, and has thus undergone extensive kitchen testing. I have been making it regularly and enjoying it for the last 2 years or so.

*Makes one 9x13 pan of lasagna*

12 lasagne noodles
3+ cups marinara sauce, jarred or homemade

Veggie Filling:
1 T olive oil
1 bell pepper, diced
6 garlic cloves
2 cups mushrooms, chopped
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
1/2 cup chopped cooked (or frozen, thawed)spinach
1/4 cup parsley, minced
salt to taste
optional: crumbled soy sausage
optional: cooked whole grain, like bulgur

Tofu filling
2 pkg firm tofu (silken is nice)
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t paprika
optional: 1/4 cup sesame tahini
optional: 1 cup shredded soy mozarella

preheat oven to 400 degrees.

cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain.

For the veggie filling, saute all veggies together, then add marinara sauce and simmer briefly.

For the tofu filling, mash tofu with potato masher or fork and mix with other ingredients.

spread some marinara sauce in the bottom of your baking dish. Spread tofu filling over the noodles. Cover with veggie filling. Repeat layers of noodles, tofu filling, and veggie filling, finishing with a layer of noodles. Spread remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle with soy mozarella, if desired.

Bake, covered, about 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Sorry I can't contribute to this discussion, but Laura thanks for bringing up the topic and RW your recipe looks irresistibly delicious! :-)~~ <drooling!>

DollarIQ
Hungry and getting ready to microwave her rice & beans lunch again.
I can see tofu being a good ricotta cheese substitute in a lasagna. Does anyone have a Tofu Lasagna recipe?
RW's recipe looks really good (I like the idea of adding tahini to the tofu. I'll try that sometime). I've found that it's pretty easy to convert any lasagna recipe that uses ricotta as a primary ingredient to a tofu lasagna. I had a recipe for a spinach lasagne that called for mixing the spinach with the ricotta and layering it with tomato sauce and mozzarella; I just substituted an equal amount of crumbled tofu for the ricotta, seasoned it a little extra well to counteract the blandness of the tofu, and proceeded with the recipe. It worked just fine. If you want a completely dairy free experience, just use soy mozzarella, or a white sauce made with soy milk, or nothing else at all.

If I'm making a tofu lasagna, I try to make the tofu filling in advance if I have time; the longer it sits the better the flavors blend. Also, I like to use Chinese-style non-silken tofu in lasagna; when well-crumbled the texture seems to me to better approximate ricotta, sort of grainy.

Have fun with your adventures in soy!

almetcalf,

I would be interested in how you make and flavor soy milk. Thank you.
almetcalf,

Do you have a good recipe for soy milk? I tried to make it, but burned it.

What do you use for flavoring?
almetcalf,

Do you have a good recipe for soy milk? I tried to make it, but burned it.

I have one--actually several--and will post them tonight after work if someone else doesn't beat me to it. Have a good day, everyone--

RW

Just got home from work and am too tired to post soymilk recipe from one of my cookbooks. . .so here are some links:

very detailed instructions at http://soymilk.freeyellow.com/

very basic instructions at http://www.saltandpepper.com/recipes/w/2061948.html

Yet another set of instructions at http://www.glinx.com/~eparsons/soybean.htm

That's it--time to go make din-din now! Wish I could read and post at work like you guys & gals do, but I'm a teacher, so I only get to use my computer before I leave for the day & after I get home. Have a good weekend everyone!

RW

Thanks for the soy milk recipes. I somehow did not expect to find them on the web.