Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
My former employer pays United Health Care for my medical insurance and for my prescription plan.

The only thing I dislike is that I must pay $12.10 a month from my Social Security for Prescription Drug coverage even though my former employer already pays for my prescription drug coverage. I called the IRS and they say I must pay that even though I do not have Medicare part D.

Don't expect good answers from the IRS, which has nothing to do with administering Medicare. You need to talk to Medicare. On cursory reading it looks to me like the only penalty if you don't pay the income-based premium surcharge is that you lose your Part D coverage, which you don't have in the first place.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.